In this podcast episode, Kevin Burr helps us to gain a more culturally-informed set of eyes through which we can read and understand the Gospel of John. What are the things that John’s audience would assume, but perhaps not say? There’s a lot of great content here to explore.
- Understanding the type of literature which the Gospels are: Ancient Biography
- The understanding of Wisdom in 1st Century Judaism
- Moses as a precursor to the work of Jesus
- A deeper understanding of Pharisees and Sadducees
- The power dynamics between the Jews and their life under Roman rule
About Kevin Burr
Kevin Burr has served as a minister at the Nicholasville Church of Christ in Nicholasville, KY since August 2016. In March 2020 Kevin will defend his dissertation for the PhD in Biblical Studies from Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, KY, where he has focused heavily on the Gospels and understanding Jesus in his first-century context.
Here are some additional resources, either referenced in the conversation, or especially recommended by Kevin.
- The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (2nd Ed.) by Craig Keener.
- Backgrounds of Early Christianity, 3rd Ed. by Everett Ferguson.
- The World of the New Testament by Joel Green.